1 Thessalonians 2:12 (NIV)
“… Encouraging, comforting and urging you to live lives worthy of God, who calls you into his kingdom and glory.”
A friend of mine is struggling with the human side of being a Christian man. As Christians we strive to be deserving of the love our God has for us. We were made in His own image and we should live up to that perfection, right?
Some people are not aware; God does not expect perfection from us. Have you ever heard someone say ” I can’t believe she did that, and she calls herself a Christian”? I recently saw this post on Facebook; “Gods children do not lie. If u r a child of God and go to church to worship Him u shouldnt be starting choas!!”
Here are my top five thoughts on being Christian.
1. Christians are far more critical of themselves than God will ever be.
2. The only judges anyone should ever care about is God and those judges in our judicial system. So Facebook poster, you are forgiven but your words mean nothing to me.
3. God expects you to live your best life. Not be the best at everything. Not be perfect all the time. Just be you and be the best you everyday.
4. You will make mistakes! The trick is to ask for forgiveness and to learn from those mistakes.
5. God’s Grace is a powerful thing. To know at all times that as long as you are truly sorry and seek forgiveness God will forgive you even if other humans don’t show forgiveness.
So to my friends who struggle with their mistakes give yourself some Grace. Forgive yourself for the wrongs you’ve done. Start in this moment to be the best version of yourself in every minute. Do not strive for perfection.
P.S. You might see that I quote Dr. Suess often. Yes, he is my favorite author.